Freedom of Information & Protection of Privacy Act - FOIP
The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIP) is provincial legislation which balances an individual’s right to information and privacy.
- Freedom of Information – to make public bodies more open and accountable by providing the public with a legislated right of access to government records.
- Protection of Privacy – to prevent the unauthorized collection, use or disclosure of personal information by public bodies.
The Town of Whitecourt supports the principle of transparency and the majority of information held by the Town is available through our website, publications, meeting agenda packages and reports. Information which is not already available to the public may be available upon verbal request.
Right to Request Information
Under FOIP, any person has the right to request information that is in the custody and control of the Town of Whitecourt, including their personal information. Individuals may also request a correction of their personal information.
If the information you are seeking is not routinely available, you may have to submit a formal request for access under the Act. It is suggested you contact the Whitecourt FOIP Coordinator so that we can help determine whether the record(s) you wish to access are available.
Request for Access to Records
All FOIP Requests must be made as follows:
- In writing to the Town of Whitecourt FOIP Coordinator by completing the Access to Information Form and returning it to the Town Office at Box 5009, 5004 52 Avenue, Whitecourt AB T7S 1N6.
- The request must provide sufficient detail to enable the Town of Whitecourt to identify the record(s) you require. Please make your request as specific as possible so we are able to identify the record you are requesting.
- Please include the required $25 initial application fee. You may provide this payment by cheque addressed to the Town of Whitecourt, or through payment at the front counter at the Town Office by debit or cash.
Upon receipt of your completed Request to Access Information Form and initial application fee, the FOIP Coordinator will respond to your request within 30 calendar days to inform you whether the information can be released in whole or with redacted portions; cannot be released; or whether an extension is required to process large volumes of records and/or consult with third parties. If it is determined that the information cannot be released, you will be provide with an explanation. You will be contacted with an estimate of costs of producing copies and additional processing costs, if applicable.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the FOIP Coordinator at 780-778-2273 or email@example.com