The next general municipal election will be held on
Monday, October 16, 2017.
2017 Municipal Election Candidates
The following official nominations for the Town of Whitecourt 2017 MunicipalElection have been received:
Office of Mayor:
Chichak, Maryann Irene
Office of Councillor:
Crossland, Stacy Dawn
- Nomination Day - Monday, September 18, 2017
- 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon at the Whitecourt Town Office (5004 52 Avenue)
- Advance Vote - Wednesday, October 11, 2017
- 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. at the Whitecourt Seniors Circle (5212 50 Street)
- Election Day - Monday, October 16, 2017
- 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. at the Whitecourt Seniors Circle (5212 50 Street)
Voter eligibility requirements pursuant to s. 47(1) of the Local Authorities Election Act:
- the person is at least 18 years old, and
- is a Canadian citizen, and
- has resided in Alberta for the 6 consecutive months immediately preceding election and the person’s place of residence is located in the area on election day.
In order to vote, you MUST produce identification for inspection. The identification MUST confirm both name and address of the elector. This includes an Operator’s (Driver’s) Licence or Alberta identification card (for non-drivers). Other forms of authorized identification with both the elector’s name and current residential address are:
- Bank/credit card statement or personal cheque;
- Government cheque or cheque stub;
- Income/property tax assessment notice;
- Utility bill (telephone, television, power, gas or water);
- Vehicle insurance certificate;
- Statement of government benefits (employment insurance, old-age security, social assistance, disability support, or child tax benefit); and
- Attestation of Residence issued by the responsible authority of a supportive living facility or treatment centre, a shelter or soup kitchen.
as required by Section 53(1) of the Local Authorities Election Act. For a complete list of authorized identification, click here.
Are you a student attending school outside of Whitecourt? Are you a snowbird or do you have a vacation planned in October? The Town of Whitecourt will be providing for Special Ballots in the 2017 Municipal election.
Town Council passed a resolution allowing Whitecourt residents to request a Special Ballot (absentee vote) if they are unable to attend the voting station on the October 16 Election Day or the Advance Vote Day scheduled for October 11, 2017.
Voter identification, which must be submitted per the instructions included in the Special Ballot package.
Requesting and Returning a Special Ballot
- Request a Special Ballot - Complete the Special Ballot Request form and submit your request in person, in writing, by fax or by email to the following contact:
Town of Whitecourt
5004 – 52 Avenue, Box 509
Whitecourt AB T7S 1N6
- Special Ballot Packages will be available as soon as possible after Nomination Day.
- After receiving the Special Ballot package, follow the instructions included and complete the ballot. You will need to provide a photocopy of your authorized identification (confirming your name and residential address) attached to the outside of the Special Ballot Certificate Envelope. Do not provide your original identification.
- Completed Special Ballots must be received by the Town of Whitecourt (at the address listed above) by 12:00 noon on Election Day (October 16) in order to be counted.
Contact the Town of Whitecourt at 780-778-2273 if you have questions on Special Ballots or require information. Requests for special ballots can be made in person, writing, by fax, or by email.
As of January 2014, changes to the Local Authorities Election Act require all candidates intending to run in an upcoming municipal election to register with the municipality prior to accepting campaign contributions.
In accordance with the Local Authorities Election Act (LAEA) citizens who are considering running in the 2017 Municipal Election are accountable for ensuring their own eligibility. Please reference the LAEA Sections 21, 22 and 23 to determine your eligibility as a possible candidate. If you are accepting campaign contributions, please complete Form 3A - Application for Registration of Notice of Intent to Become a Candidate for Municipal Office and submit it to Whitecourt Administration.
Learn about guidelines relating to election signage in Whitecourt.
Candidate Information Sessions
The Society of Local Government Managers, in partnership with Alberta Municipal Affairs, is offering five training sessions for potential candidates and their campaign workers in Calgary, Edmonton, Lethbridge and Grande Prairie. There is no charge for these sessions – but the attendees must register. Information on the session is linked below, and those interested can register online through www.albertaleaders.ca/training-program/training-program.aspx
For further information on Whitecourt's 2017 Municipal Election please contact:
Marlene Kellier-Pinchbeck, Returning Officer
email@example.com or 780-778-2273
Tara Gallant, Legislative Manager
firstname.lastname@example.org or 780-778-2273