Call For Tender
Zone 20, 21, 12b, 12c: 2018 FRIAA FireSmart Program
The Town of Whitecourt, with funding support from the Forest Resource Improvement Association of Alberta (FRIAA) is treating the following sections of Crown land per FireSmart principles and practices:
- Zone 20: 8.3 hectares
- Zone 21: 18.6 hectares
- Zone 12b: 2.3 hectares
- Zone 12c: 1.8 hectares
Startup is required by December 1, 2018, and completion is to be no later than April 30, 2019. The project has to be completed while ground is frozen.
A field visit by interested proponents is strongly recommended. Please contact Fire Chief Brian Wynn at the Whitecourt Fire Department at 780-778-2342 to make arrangements to view the site.
There are two components to this project:
- Project Management:
The successful candidate must manage the project and work with the Town of Whitecourt throughout the planning, implementation, and completion of the project. The contractor must be, or provide, a Forestry Professional registered in Alberta (Registered Professional Forest Technologist – RPFT; or Registered Professional Forester – RPF). Project Management duties include:
- Developing the overall treatment plan for presentation and approval by FRIAA.
- Preparing a Safety Plan and act as the primary contractor to meet all Occupational Health & Safety (OHS) requirements.
- Obtaining required access approvals and permits.
- Completing all necessary reporting documents, including grant reporting per requirements outlined by FRIAA.
- FireSmart Treatment:
It is the intent of the project to provide treatment as per FireSmart principles and practices to include:
- Removal and disposal of dead standing trees.
- Removal and disposal of downed woody material that would act as ladder fuel.
- Pruning the first two meters of branches on tree trunks.
- Removal and disposal of pruned branches.
- Thin understory to three-meter spacing.
- Removal and disposal of understory thinning.
- Tops, branches, and logs too small for firewood will be mulched.
- Wood suitable for firewood can be staged at Eastlink Park (ski hill), in lengths no longer than 18 inches.
A complete project Bid Package with details and map can be viewed online at www.whitecourt.ca or Alberta Purchasing Connection (APC), or at Town Office.
SEALED TENDERs, marked “Zone 20, 21, 12b, 12c: 2018 FRIAA FireSmart Program” will be accepted until 1:00 p.m. on Friday, September 14, 2018 at:
Town of Whitecourt
Attn: Brian Wynn, Fire Chief
Box 509, 5004 52 Avenue, Whitecourt AB T7S 1N6
The Town of Whitecourt reserves the right not to consider award of any contract or purchase to any party that is engaged in litigation or arbitration with the Town within the last three years, or any party with an outstanding debt owed to the Town.
The lowest or any tender will not necessarily be accepted.