Press Release - Construction season has started in Whitecourt
Construction season is here and our biggest project for the year will start Monday, July 5.
Construction crews begin work on the Dahl Drive Improvement Project next week. The construction project, valued at over $1.5 million, will take place from 49 Avenue to Kepler Street. Work includes:
- Drainage Improvements
- installation of curb & gutter along Dahl Drive
- installation of catch basins to control run off
- Roadway Improvements
- milling of existing pavement
- overlay and pavement structure enhancement
- inlaid permanent pavement markings
- Upgrades to intersection of Dahl Drive and 41 Avenue
- road widening to accommodate dedicated turning lanes
- traffic signals programming
- pedestrian crosswalk and pathway
The Town was awarded $1,212,940 through the Municipal Stimulus Program (MSP) to complete improvements to Dahl Drive. The Municipal Stimulus Program was created by the Government of Alberta to respond to the economic impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic. The funding will create jobs and help improve the economy in the community.
“This is an exciting project that will transform a busy area of Whitecourt,” stated Mayor Maryann Chichak. “While construction will cause traffic delays and inconvenience, the end result will be well worth it. The changes that are being made will help to move traffic through the area effectively and efficiently.”
Constructed in the 1981, and widened to 4-lanes in 2014, Dahl Drive is one of the main arterial roads in Whitecourt. The work scheduled this year will improve the road structure, increasing its strength and longevity. Improvements will also address drainage and erosion control issues, which will reduce maintenance and repair costs in the long term, and make the road safer in wet and icy conditions.
- Over 1km of roadway surface will be overlaid (including increasing structure of the roadway to 100mm to improve roadway integrity).
- Over 2,000m of curb and gutter will be installed.
- 16 catch basins will be installed to improve drainage.
- The guardrail will be replaced with a safer option.
- Pedestrian connectivity will be improved with the addition of a pathway.
- The intersection of 41 Avenue and Dahl Drive will be reconfigured to enhance traffic flow.
Please use caution in the area, as this will be an active construction zone. Community members should note:
- Work will start Monday, July 5 and continue throughout the summer. Crews will be onsite Monday through Saturday from 7am to 7pm (weather permitting).
- Residents are encouraged to use alternate routes through the area when possible. Motorists are encouraged to use 51 Street to access Highway 43, and avoid Dahl Drive if possible.
- Commercial establishments will be accessible throughout the course of construction.
- Motorists are advised that traffic patterns through the construction area will change as the project progresses. Please drive with caution, and obey all posted signs and speed limits.
- Sidewalk and trail access may be limited during certain phases of construction.
Other construction projects scheduled or underway in Whitecourt include:
- Road Crack Repairs – Public Works crews are working to repair cracks (tarring) on roads throughout town. Please watch for our crews at work and use caution when passing.
- Water Systems Upgrade Project - Contract B - The project involves pump and control updates for the facility. Work has begun and contractors are onsite; construction activities will continue through summer and fall of 2021.
- Street Improvement Program – The annual program, which includes street overlays, and lighting, sidewalk, drainage and trail repairs, is scheduled to start late July. A detailed scheduled with a listing of locations will be advertised in the upcoming weeks.
The Town of Whitecourt appreciates your understanding and patience throughout the summer construction season. Regular updates on construction projects will be posted online at www.whitecourt.ca and on the Town’s Facebook page at www.facebook.com/TownofWhitecourt.