Whitecourt Town Council Update January 24, 2017
The Town of Whitecourt awarded almost $30,000 as part of the 2017 Family & Community Support Services (FCSS) grant program. Seven local organizations were allocated funds to assist with the provision of social programs that are preventative in nature to the community.
- $1,150 to the Team for Success – Mixed Music Program;
- $1,350 to the Baptist Church for Mental Health Presentations;
- $2,500 to the Whitecourt District Pre-School for program equipment and developmental toys;
- $2,910 to the Whitecourt Pregnancy Support Centre for the National Conference for Program Volunteers;
- $2,520 to the POWER Group for the WhyTry Training and Program Delivery;
- $4,425 to Lorne’s Blanket for operations; and
- $14,900 to the Community Lunch Box for operations and volunteer recognition.
The Town of Whitecourt will be forwarding a letter to Ledcor regarding the level of service provided along Highway 43 and 32 in the Whitecourt area. Based on complaints and comments received from the travelling public, the level of service provided in the Whitecourt area is not comparable to that of highways in other regions, and the municipality is urging Ledcor to enhance maintenance in order to keep the highways safe for travel.
Whitecourt has adopted the 2017 Economic Development Strategic Plan. The plan will build upon the successes of 2016 which focused on making sure our community was investment ready, and throughout 2017 projects and initiatives will focus on marketing our area to potential investors. A copy of the department’s strategic plan can be found online at www.whitecourt.ca.