Press Release - Heavy rainfall warning for Whitecourt
At 10:27 AM on Tuesday, June 30, 2020, Environment Canada issued a rainfall warning for Whitecourt - Edson - Fox Creek - Swan Hills. This rainfall warning is in effect for:
- Woodlands County near Benbow and Windfall,
- Woodlands County near Carson-Pegasus Provincial Park,
- Woodlands County near Goose Lake,
- Woodlands County near Whitecourt and Blue Ridge,
- Yellowhead County near Edson and Sundance Provincial Park,
- Yellowhead County near Peers and Niton Junction,
- Municipal District of Big Lakes near Swan Hills,
- Municipal District of Greenview near Fox Creek.
Heavy rain is expected to start tonight. By the time rain tapers off to showers on Thursday evening, total amounts are expected to be 50 to 70 millimetres; however, locally amounts could be near 90 millimetres.
Heavy downpours can cause flash floods and water pooling on roads, and localized flooding in low-lying areas is possible. If the rainfall forecasts are correct, the Athabasca River could rise 2.0 metres and the McLeod River could rise 1.5 metres by noon on July 3, 2020. The public is requested to exercise caution when conducting activities in or around these rivers during this rainfall event.
Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada and Alberta River Basins at: