Press Release - COVID-19 Update for Whitecourt February 10, 2021
Step 1 of the Government of Alberta’s reopening plan began earlier this week. As of February 8, restrictions were eased to allow for the opening of restaurants, limited school and minor sport training for youth and children, and opening of indoor fitness facilities for one-on-one training for individuals or households by appointment only.
Based on these guidelines, the Town of Whitecourt has reviewed its operations and the following changes will be made:
- The Scott Safety Centre remains closed to the general public, but will be available for minor sport, school athletic groups, and household rentals starting Tuesday, February 16. Any persons participating in rentals and programming must comply with all Alberta Health Restrictions. As per the provincial restrictions:
- No spectators are allowed at indoor rinks as they are closed to the public and may only be used in compliance with Step 1 guidelines.
- All participants must be 18 years old or younger, excluding coaches or trainers.
- A maximum of 10 individuals, including all coaches, trainers and participants, can participate.
- All participants must maintain physical distancing from each other at all times.
- Participants must be masked at all times, except when engaged in the physical activity.
- Coaches and trainers must remain masked at all times.
- There must be limited access to change rooms, including for accelerated arrival and departure, for emergencies and for washroom use.
- The Allan & Jean Millar Centre remains closed to the general public, but will be available for pre-booked rentals and programs listed below. Any persons participating in rentals and programming must comply with all Alberta Health Restrictions.
- The JR’s Pressure Services Fieldhouse in the Allan & Jean Millar Centre will be open for household, school athletics groups, and minor sport rentals starting Tuesday, February 16. Limited hours will be available (8:30am to 6pm, Monday through Friday).
- Private and limited group swimming lessons (Swim Kids Level 5 and up) will be available in the Energy Services Canada Aquatic Centre at the Allan & Jean Millar Centre starting Monday, March 1. Lesson information will be posted on rec.whitecourt.ca later next week for those wanting more information and to register.
- The Pembina Fitness Centre and Rotary Running Track remain closed at this time.
- Allan & Jean Millar Centre memberships will remain on hold until further notice.
To book the Scott Safety Centre or Allan & Jean Millar Centre for a private rental, or to inquire about times and rates, please call 780-778-3637.
Universal programming and parent education for families with children/youth 0-18 years of age, with a focus on early childhood development, is under review to determine what in-person programming can be offered under these new restrictions. Follow @WhitecourtAreaFamilySupportProgram on Facebook for updates.
Town administration will continue to monitor and evaluate current and upcoming guidelines to determine if other activities and services can be reinstated. Please continue to watch Whitecourt’s website and Facebook page for current information.
COVID-19 information and updates are publicly available on the Alberta Health and Alberta Health Services websites: