Whitecourt Transit will be re-routed for September 30 Truth and Reconciliation Day event
Please plan and prepare for re-routing of Whitecourt Transit on Thursday, September 30. The bus route in the downtown area between 10:15 a.m. and 12:45 p.m. will be detoured due to a local event marking National Truth and Reconciliation Day.
The event includes a walk that will start at the Whitecourt & District Public Library, and will proceed along the usual parade route in a clockwise manner through downtown. Participants will than make their own way into Rotary Park. Activities and performances are scheduled in Rotary Park from 1pm to 7pm as part of the recognition event. Complete event details can be found on the Facebook event page.
Transit users should be aware of the following:
- Between the hours of 10:15 a.m. and 12:45 p.m., the bus will travel its regular route and schedule except for in the downtown core.
- There will be no drop off or pick up at the following stops between 10:15 a.m. and 12:45 p.m. on Thursday, September 30 due to road closures:
- Bus Stop #3 located at 51 Street near the Home Hardware Building Centre;
- Bus Stop #4 located at the corner of 51 Street and 51 Avenue;
- Bus Stop #5 located in Rotary Park;
- Bus Stop #6 located at the corner of 49 Street and 52 Avenue (Midtown Mall);
- Bus Stop # 23 located at the corner of 48 Street and 50 Avenue;
- Bus Stop #24 located at the corner of 50 Street and 50 Avenue;
- Bus Stop #25 located on 51 Street near the 7-11; and,
- Bus Stop #26 located at 49 Avenue and 50 Street.
Transit users are asked to use other bus stops in the area, including Bus Stops 7, 21 and 22. A temporary Bus Stop will also be set up on 49 Avenue near Canadian Tire (a temporary sign will be posted noting Bus Stop 3A at the pick up/drop off location).
Whitecourt Transit appreciates your cooperation and understanding.
Motorists are advised that streets in the downtown area will be closed temporarily for National Truth and Reconciliation Day event.
For more information on the event, hosted by the Whitecourt Indigenous Friendship Society, please visit the event Facebook page.