Press Release - COVID-19 Update for Whitecourt June 23, 2021
Stage 3 of the Province’s Open For Summer Plan starts on July 1. Alberta has hit the vaccination threshold set by the Province and all mandatory restrictions will be lifted, including the ban on indoor social gatherings. Isolation requirements for confirmed cases and protective measures in continuing care settings may remain. For more information please visit https://www.alberta.ca/enhanced-public-health-measures.aspx.
Masking may still be required in limited and specific settings, and the Government of Alberta will be sharing more details on this prior to the Stage 3 launch on July 1. The Town of Whitecourt Temporary Mask Covering Bylaw 1560 remains in effect, but will be discussed at the June 28, 2021 Regular Meeting of Council in light of the Province’s announcement. Further information will be shared with the community as it is available.
Rotary Park’s Whitecourt River Slides open July 1
With public health restrictions eased, the Whitecourt River Slides in Rotary Park will open for the 2021 summer season on Thursday, July 1. Operating guidelines remain the same as previous seasons:
- The facility will be open daily from 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. (weather permitting) as long as an outside air temperature of 160C is reached. If the 160C is not reached by 2:00 p.m., the slides will not open.
- The slides will be closed occasionally on Wednesdays from approximately 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon for maintenance. The slides will be open on these days when maintenance work is complete.
- The air filling station to fill tubes and floaties is located on the south side of the concession building.
All other amenities at Rotary Park, including the Splash Park and playground, are already open for the season. Concession services are offered daily from 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. (weather permitting).
Canada Day Fireworks will be moved to Graham Acres
With gathering restrictions lifted, the Canada Day fireworks will be moved to Graham Acres for public viewing. Originally the fireworks were scheduled to be set off from Eastlink Park and higher aerial fireworks were to be used. With gathering restrictions lifted, the most suitable location for this type of display, with the best seating option, is Graham Acres.
- Seating for fireworks will be available in the baseball fields and soccer practice field closest to the Golf Course entrance road.
- The Graham Acres parking lot will also be open for fireworks viewing.
For further information on activities planned in Whitecourt this Canada Day visit the event page on Facebook.
Allan & Jean Millar Centre programs and services resume
The Allan & Jean Millar Centre will be open from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on Thursday, July 1, and as of that date the following components will be fully operational with no capacity limits:
- Pembina Fitness Centre and Rotary Running Track;
- Fieldhouse; and
- Life Med Pharmacy Kids’ Corner and Child Mind.
The McDonald’s Whitecourt Go Active Zone will open July 12.
The Energy Transfer Canada Aquatic Centre remains closed until further notice. During the facility closure this spring there was a pipe break under the pool deck that was detected immediately, but created damage under the deck. Crews are working to complete the work as quickly as possible, and it is anticipated that the Centre will be open in the coming weeks for the public to enjoy. We appreciate your understanding and patience as we work to repair these issues.
The Allan & Jean Millar Centre will resume regular operating hours on Friday, July 2:
- Monday-Friday 5:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m., and
- Saturday & Sunday 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
All Albertans aged 12 and up are now eligible for second doses. If your first dose was an mRNA vaccine (Pfizer or Moderna), you can book your second dose 4 weeks after your first dose through Alberta Health Services (online or 811) or by contacting a participating pharmacy and physician clinic.
If you first dose was AstraZeneca, you can book your second dose 8 weeks after your first. You can choose which vaccine you get for your second dose:
• mRNA vaccine – book with Alberta Health Services online or a pharmacy
• AstraZeneca – book by calling Health Link 811
For more information visit https://www.alberta.ca/covid19-vaccine.aspx