Water & Sewer
Utility Bylaw 1511
New rules are now in place for Whitecourt utility services and systems, which include water, wastewater and stormwater.
A new bylaw was developed through extensive research and review of industry best practices; and the new bylaw will address evolving needs of our community. Utility Bylaw 1511 came into effect on January 1, 2020 and includes additional regulations to protect not only the environment, but also municipal infrastructure and interests.
All utility accounts will be transitioned into the property owner's name by December 31, 2020
- To improve management practices, utility accounts currently in the tenant’s name will be transitioned to the property owner’s name. To ensure service is not interrupted, the property owner must transfer the account at the Town Office by December 31, 2020. There is no cost to transfer the account, and a Utility Account Application Agreement Form must be completed. Accounts not transferred by December 31, 2020 will default to the registered property owner(s) on January 1, 2021.
- Tenants with a utility account in their name will be responsible for the utility bill until the account is transitioned.
- Once the account is transitioned to the property owner’s name, the property owner will be responsible for all utility bills, and can determine how best to transfer that cost to their tenants through rental agreements. If requested (by completing the Duplicate Bill Request Form), the Town of Whitecourt will mail an additional copy of the utility bill to the tenant at the service address.
- Accounts that remain in the tenant’s name on December 31, 2020 will either:
- be closed and transitioned to the property owner’s name; or
- be disconnected by the Town, with a fee of $40 for disconnection and an additional fee of $40 for reconnection charged to the property owner.
Timeline to add outstanding utility balance to property account
- The timeline for adding outstanding utiliity balances to the property tax account has changed to 90 days.
New industrial wastewater sampling and monitoring practices
- New testing and monitoring practices will be implemented to help protect waterways and municipal infrastructure. Continued collaboration between the Town of Whitecourt, developers and industrial customers will help ensure prohibited substances are not introduced into the wastewater system, which has the potential to increase maintenance costs and cause other environmental concerns.
For more information on new Bylaw 1511 scroll to the bottom
of the page to review frequently asked questions.
Setting up a Utility Account
If you are moving, or setting up a utility account for the first time, you will be required to complete a Utility Account Agreement Application Form. Once completed, visit the Town Office to open your account. Forms are also available at the Town Office.
If you are opening a bulk water account, a deposit is required. Scroll down to the Bulk/Cardlock Water Purchases and Accounts section for current rates.
Utility Fee Schedule (effective January 1, 2020)
Water Service Charge: $7.59/month
Sewer Service Charge: $7.59/month
Water Consumption Charge: $1.27/cubic metre
Sewer Consumption Charge (based on 100% of water consumption): $1.41/cubic metre
Waste Collection: $9.92/month
Landfill Recovery Fee: $12.12/month
Residential Curbside Recycling Program: $8.88/month
Every residence has its own water meter, and as such are individually billed. Monthly water and sewer charges are based on consumption. So the more water you consume, the higher your utility charge. Try your best to conserve water to save yourself some money.
Each month you will receive a bill and payments are required on your utility account once every month. The Town Administration Office accepts cash, cheque, Interac, Visa and Mastercard. Bank, internet, telebank and pre-authorized payments are also accepted.
If the total balance is not paid, a 3.5% penalty is applied 30 days after the due date. Late payments will result in an arrears letter to remind you that your account is overdue. If the account is not paid within 10 days of this letter being mailed, your water service may be disconnected. If the water is disconnected there is an automatic $40 disconnection fee, and an additional fee of $40 for reconnection.
After 90 days, outstanding utility balances will be added to the property tax account for collection.
Returned payments are charged an additional $25.00. This includes returned cheques and returned pre-authorized payments.
Pre-Authorized Payment Plan for Utility Bills
You are encouraged to sign up for the Pre-Authorized Payment Plan for Utility Bills. To sign up for the plan, visit the Town Administration Office with a void cheque and fill out an application form. Each month you will receive a bill, but it will indicate that the payment is going to be made directly from your bank account on the 7th of each month, or the first banking day after the 7th.
Pre-Authorized Application Form
Please inform the Utility Department in advance when you are moving out of your residence so that staff can be scheduled to take a final water meter reading on your last day in your home. If you are moving within Whitecourt, you will be required to complete a Utility Account Application Form for the new service address.
Bulk/Cardlock Water Purchases and Accounts
The Town of Whitecourt now has a "cardlock" water system located at the pumphouse at the Water Treatment Plant. Accounts can be arranged through the Utility Clerk at the Town Administration Office at 780-778-2273. A deposit is required for every bulk/cardlock water account. Users are required to provide your own hose with a 3" male camlock end.
Fee Schedule (effective January 1, 2020)
$56.33 for the first 14 cubic metres
$5.90/cubic metre from between 15 and 250m3
More than 250 cubic metres is charged at $10.42/m3
Be sure to cancel the account if you are no longer using it, as you will be charged the flat rate regardless of use and consumption. Invoices are produced monthly on the amount of water used.