Rural Renewal Stream
The Rural Renewal Stream offers eligible workers an opportunity to immigrate to Whitecourt with the formal support of the Town of Whitecourt through an endorsement process by the Economic Development Committee. The program will be used to attract and retain newcomers and support employers to fill full-time, permanent job vacancies. Candidates must have skills to fill the current job shortages. This will support workforce development by helping employers meet labour demands, expand skilled workforce and support community and economic growth.
Employers and employment agencies cannot charge employees any fee for a job or an employment offer. If you are a potential candidate and an employer is charging you a fee of any kind we can help. Please reach out to email@example.com or call 780-778-2273 ext. 250. In addition, you can also report directly to the Alberta government information line at 310-0000 and ask for Employment Standards or the Temporary Foreign Worker Advisory Office.
Employers that wish to fill job vacancies using the Rural Renewal Stream must meet a series of employer criteria and provide a genuine offer of employment.
As of February 1, 2024, the business must be operating within the municipal boundaries of the Town of Whitecourt and in GOOD STANDING for a minimum of ONE YEAR.
Employers must meet all eligibility criteria under the Alberta Advantage Immigration Program (AAIP) Rural Renewal Stream prior to issuing an offer of employment.
- Job Opportunities must be available to Canadians first, at the same pay and working conditions.
- Employers are required to demonstrate current efforts to recruit locally, provincially and nationally and provide those outcomes. Recruitment efforts must include local advertising platforms.
- Employers must be incorporated, or registered by or under, an act of the legislature of a province, territory, or the Parliament of Canada.
- The business must be operating within the municipal boundaries of the Town of Whitecourt and in good standing for a minimum of one year.
- Employment offers or contracts must be signed by the employee and employer, and must provide:
- Continuous, paid work and must be full-time work, defined as a minimum of 30 hours per week for 12 months or more;
- and wages and benefits that meet or exceed the lowest starting wage for your occupation across all industries in Alberta.
- Employers must demonstrate knowledge of the responsibilities of welcoming newcomers and providing a warm and welcoming environment.
Employers must complete an Employer Application and submit to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that due to the high application volumes, applications may take a minimum of 30 days to be assessed.
As of February 1, 2024, Candidates are required to have a current Work Permit to be eligible for an endorsement letter and must meet all candidate eligibility requirements under the Alberta Immigration Program before applying for job positions in the Town of Whitecourt.
Once an employer has been approved to the program, the employer will recruit directly and will select foreign nationals that meet their labour needs. The Town of Whitecourt is not involved in resume collecting. Please do not submit your resume to the Town of Whitecourt.
Applicants that wish to participate in the program must meet a series of candidate criteria, receive an authentic job offer from an eligible employer, get endorsed by the Town of Whitecourt through the Economic Development Committee and apply using the Alberta Advantage Immigration Program (AAIP) Portal.
- Candidates are required to have a current Work Permit to be eligible for an endorsement letter from the Town of Whitecourt.
- Before applying for an employment opportunity, candidates are encouraged to review, understand and ensure they meet all eligibility requirements under the Alberta Advantage Immigration Program.
- Once a candidate is confident they meet the eligibility requirements, they may apply for employment with approved employers located within the Town of Whitecourt.
- Once a job is offered, the employer will send a copy of the offer letter to the Town of Whitecourt for review and approval of an endorsement letter.
- All eligible applicants should review the Rural Renewal Stream – Document Checklist to ensure all documents are prepared in advance to submitting to the Alberta Advantage Immigration Program Rural Renewal Stream portal.
- The endorsed foreign national will apply to the AAIP – Rural Renewal Stream: https://www.alberta.ca/aaip-rural-renewal-stream-how-to-apply.aspx
- A non-refundable application fee of $500 is required.
- You may only have one AAIP application in process at any time.
- If the AAIP issues a nomination, the nominee must apply to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada for permanent residence status: https://www.alberta.ca/aaip-rural-renewal-stream-after-you-are-nominated.aspx
For more information on eligibility requirements, visit Rural Renewal Stream Eligibility.
Frequently Asked Questions
The Town of Whitecourt cannot issue endorsement letters directly to candidates without an eligible job offer in the community. A candidate's first step is to apply for a job directly to an eligible employer.
Prospective candidates should follow application details listed in each job posting. Once a job is offered, the employer will send a copy of the offer letter to the Town of Whitecourt. At that point, the Town will review eligibility and write the endorsement letter.
No. The Rural Renewal Stream gives employers the opportunity to wave LMIA requirements for job vacancies by requiring an endorsement letter from the municipality. An LMIA is not required for employers who recruit vacant positions through this program.
The RRS is a good option for employers who are having difficulties finding candidates who are qualified to fill a given position or are willing to perform the work required and where existing federal temporary worker programs are not a good fit for their business needs. The RRS is an opportunity to hire a candidate with temporary status in the community that the business wouldn’t otherwise be able to hire under current federal or provincial temporary worker programs. The RRS is also an opportunity to bring new individuals into the community who will be the right fit for the needed position. The RRS also presents the employer with the possibility of a candidate staying on with the business on a permanent basis once they’ve acquired Permanent Resident status.
To determine if you’re eligible for permanent residency through the Rural Renewal Stream, visit the Eligibility Page on the Government of Alberta website.
Once the Letter of Endorsement is issued, the employee is expected to enter their information into the AAIP Portal as soon as possible. This is part of their commitment to the employer and the community. Once the information is entered into the portal, the nomination for permanent residency begins immediately.
Both employer and employee still have rights under the Employment Standards Code.
Should the employer or employee choose to end the employment agreement, the employer must follow employment standards and regulations to terminate their employment. If employment is terminated, it is the responsibility of the employer to notify the Town of Whitecourt, who will then notify AAIP of the employee's change in employment status.
Alberta Advantage Immigration Program – Employment Opportunities
PLEASE NOTE - All candidates must review, understand and meet all program eligibility criteria before applying for available positions within the community.
If all eligibility requirements are met, candidates may apply for a position being offered in the Town of Whitecourt. Applications are made directly to the employer outlined in the job postings.
Candidates are encouraged to review the job postings carefully and only submit an application for a position that meets your skills, education, and experience. It is important that applicants clearly demonstrate in the application how they will meet all the mandatory requirements of the position.
Cloud 9 Inn
Dynamic Petro Canada
I.D.A. MedHouse Pharamacy and Travel Centre (Filshad Investment Ltd.)
Red Swan Pizza
The Ritz Café & Motor Inn