Festival Park (formerly known as Rotary Park)
Festival Park, proudly supported by the Rotary Club of Whitecourt, is often referred to as the "gem" of our community. This free, family-friendly park offers fun and entertainment for all members of your family.
Location & Amenities
Festival Park (formerly Rotary Park) is located at the end of 51 Street (north of the Whitecourt Fire Hall) in downtown Whitecourt. From Highway 43, turn north on to 51 Street and follow 51 Street until you reach the park entrance gate. A public washroom facility is open seasonally (during the summer months) and concession service is generally open when the Whitecourt River Slides are operating. It is recommended that you bring tubes and flotation toys to fully experience the fun of the Whitecourt River Slides (rentals are not available).
The Whitecourt River Slides are open during the summer months for family enjoyment. The water feature includes two man-made creeks with a series of pools and drops for tubing and play, with a shallow basin and beach at the end of the creeks.
- May long weekend to June 14: Daily 10:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. (weather permitting)
- From June 15 through to the end of Labour Day, the slides will operate daily from 10:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. (regardless of temperatures).
- After Labour Day through to September 30 the slides will operate, weather permitting, only on the weekends from 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. The slides will open when the outside air temperature is 16 degrees Celsius (16oC) or above, weather permitting. If 16oC is not reached by 2:00 p.m. the slides will not open.
- The slides will be closed occasionally on Wednesdays from approximately 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon for maintenance. The slides will be open on these days when maintenance work is complete.
*Don't forget to bring your own tubes and flotation toys to the Whitecourt River Slides.
Air Filling Station
Fill your tubes and floaties for the Whitecourt River Slides at the air filling station located on the south side of the concession building.
The Whitecourt Splash Park has a variety of interactive play areas for children of all ages.
- May long weekend to the end of Labour Day long weekend: Daily 10:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. (weather permitting)
- After Labour Day long weekend to September 30: Weekends only from 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. (weather permitting)
- The Splash Park will be closed occasionally on Wednesdays from approximately 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon for maintenance. The Splash Park will be open on these days when maintenance work is complete.
The Festival Park Playground is the tallest outdoor playground structure in Alberta. Proudly sponsored by the Rotary Club of Whitecourt, Alliance Pipeline, and Alberta Recycling Management Authority, this playground is fully accessible and offers entertainment for people of all ages.
To enhance Park safety, a "no cooking" zone has been developed near the Whitecourt River Slides.
Use of cooking appliances (such as portable bbqs, turkey fryers, etc.) is not allowed in the area outlined in red in the map above.
Please obey all posted signage.
Those wanting to use portable cooking appliances are encouraged to use the pavilion near the pond and the shelter near the Playground.
The Concession at Festival Park, Sister's Sweet Treats, will be open June through August during the 2023 summer season.
- Operating 11am to 8pm daily from June through August
Note that services are weather dependent, and while supplies last.
Grab your fishing rod and tackle, and take your family fishing at Festival Park. Fishing is limited to people under the age of 16 years, or adults who have a fishing license and are accompanied by one or more people under the age of 16 years. Per Bylaw 1323, fishing at Festival Park is permitted from May to October. For more detailed information, contact the Community Services Department at 780-778-6300.
Sponsored by Pembina, the Jumbo Jumper is the newest addition to Festival Park.
The Jumper will be inflated daily for use during the summer months:
- From 10am to 9pm from May long weekend through Labour Day long weekend.
- From 10am to 7pm after Labour Day through September 30.
Pets must be under the owner's control (leashed) when visiting Festival Park. Dogs are not permitted on park features (River Slides, Splash Park, Playground), in the pond or on the sportsfields (per Bylaw 1414 - Animal Control). Pet owner's are encouraged to visit the Off Leash Dog Park in the north-east corner of the Park if their pets need some time to roam and run.
Off Leash Dog Park
An Off Leash Dog Park has been developed on the north-east boundary of Festival Park. Your four-legged friend can take part in special off leash privileges while you relax and enjoy the outdoors. The fenced park is an area where well-mannered dogs can enjoy a good run, or socialize with other dogs, while under the supervision of their owner.