This section provides you with valuable information and resources for starting your business.
Why is this important? Market research provides you with useful insights on your target market, customers, and competitors in your industry.
Town of Whitecourt:
Government of Alberta
Government of Canada
- Canadian Industry Statistics
- Information by Industry Classification
- Key Small Business Statistics
- Marketing Research & Statistics
- Small Business Hub
- Industry Canada
- Expenditure Data CANSIM
- National Household Survey
- Health in Canada
With the excitement of starting a new business, it's easy to ignore the need for licenses or permits but failing to do so and not doing it right from the beginning is one of the most common mistakes entrepreneurs make and can result in a number of challenges down the road.
Although a business license is not required to operate a business in the Town of Whitecourt, businesses are still required to have permits in place for community safety and ensure your area is zoned for the purpose you want to use it for and our team is here to help!
- Speak with a Town of Whitecourt Development Officer regarding use locations. Contact the Planning Department at 780-778-2273 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Many factors go into selecting a location to run your business - neighborhood, parking, lease rate, and compliance with the Land Use Bylaw should all be considered.
Any structural changes such as moving walls, doors or windows; or significant changes to what the building was designed for, for example changing from a gym to a restaurant, will require development and building permits for construction.
Cosmetic changes such as painting, flooring, cabinetry or decorating do not require construction permits.
To find out what you need to know so that your project runs smoothly, select the type of project from the following list:
- Building a Deck or Patio
- Garages, Carports, and Sheds
- Site Coverage
- Encroachment Agreements
- Home Occupations
Keep in mind, we are here to help you every step of the way. Connect with our Planning and Development team for guidance and support.
Contact the Planning Department at 780-778-2273 or email@example.com regarding use locations and permit requirements.
- All businesses within the Town of Whitecourt require an approved development permit for their location. The permit ensures that your business is located in a, appropriate land use district, as per the Land Use Bylaw.
- Your development permit is valid as long as you stay at your current location.
Permit Application Forms:
It’s a good idea to consult a tax professional before you get started and contact Canada Revenue Agency for more information on corporate and income tax, GST, and to obtain an employer’s account number for unemployment insurance and Canada Pension Plan deductions.
- Obtain appropriate insurance, leases, and other operating needs.
- Ensure that all environmental issues that affect your business has been investigated. Environmental File Search Request Form
- Register your company with the Worker’s Compensation Board.
- Ensure that all health regulations that relate to your business has been investigated. Alberta Health Services website is a great place to start.
- If you choose to hire employees, you’ll have additional responsibilities and requirements to uphold
- If you employ five (5) or more employees, register with the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan.
- If assistance is required to locate and/or train new employees, contact the Government of Alberta
- Ensure that you comply with the pertinent labour regulations by contacting the Employment Standards Branch of Alberta Human Services.
Join the Whitecourt Business Directory
Business directories build supportive communities and provide a tool for new and established businesses to connect. You can find and interact with people offering complementary services and benefit from mutual support. It also provides an opportunity for our team to highlight your business and services to increase awareness and build you presence. We take pride in proactively promoting businesses both locally and regionally. Interested in a listing in the Whitecourt Business Directory at no cost? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Become a member of the Whitecourt & District Chamber of Commerce.
We’re Here To Help!
For more information on starting a business in the Town of Whitecourt connect with Whitecourt’s Economic Development Officer at 780-778-2273 or by email at email@example.com