Whitecourt Town Council passed Tax Rate Bylaw 1568 at the May 9, 2022 Regular Meeting of Council, and property owners can expect to receive combined assessment and taxation notices later this month. The 2022 Budget includes a 2.40% increase to the municipal tax rate. For details on how property taxes are calculated, and how tax dollars have been allocated in the 2022 Budget, please read the 2022 Budget Report. The report is available on the Whitecourt website at www.whitecourt.ca/Government. If you have questions about your tax notice or the 2022 Budget, please contact the Town Office.
Town Council received an overview of 2022 assessment figures by the municipal assessor at the May 9 Council Meeting.
• The valuation date for 2022 taxation of properties is July 1, 2021.
• Assessment values for single family homes have decreased by 0.6% in the valley; and 0.9% in the hilltop area. The average house value in Whitecourt is $326,700.
• Property owners can view the assessment report for their property online. Visit the Whitecourt website at www.whitecourt.ca/Services/Taxes-Assessment and follow the link and instructions to view assessment reports.
• Property owners will receive a combined assessment and tax notice later this month.
Whitecourt Town Council has awarded $30,000 in funding under the 2022 Enhancement Grant Program. Recipients include:
• Royal Canadian Legion Branch 44 - $3,277.93 for the Darts Program Upgrades
• Whitecourt Taekwondo - $10,600.50 for the Second Dojang Training Space
• Whitecourt Golf & Country Club - $10,056.03 for the Driving Range
• Whitecourt Indigenous Friends Society - $6,065.54 for Orange Shirt Day Round Dance
The Whitecourt Youth Advisory Committee is hosting Town Hall events at Percy Baxter Middle School and Ecole St. Joseph School on May 26, 2022. The event aims to increase students’ knowledge and understanding of municipal government.
Recipients of the 2022 Spirit of Youth Awards will be honoured at a virtual ceremony that will be posted on www.whitecourt.ca on May 26. The Spirit of Youth Program recognizes and promotes the contributions youth aged 12 to 18 years make in our region.
Seniors’ Week activities are being planned for June 6-12. Details on all planned events and activities can be found on the event calendar at www.whitecourt.ca.
Whitecourt Town Council has approved the use and closure of a portion of Sunset Boulevard on Saturday, June 4 from 7:45am to 11:45am for the 2022 Run 4 Fun event. This year’s event includes 5km, 10km, half marathon and kids marathon categories. For more information, and to register, visit www.whitecourt.ca/Rec-Culture/Run-4-Fun
The Anthony Gordon Memorial Golf Classic, a fundraising event for Eagle Tower Victim Services, is scheduled for August 22, 2022. A link to the online registration form for the tournament is available through the Eagle Tower Victim Services Facebook page.
Councillor Paul Chauvet will serve as Deputy Mayor from June 1 to November 30, 2022.
For more information, please contact:
Tara Gallant, Legislative Manager
Town of Whitecourt