Please plan and prepare for re-routing of Whitecourt Transit on Friday, September 30. The bus route in the downtown area between 10:45 a.m. and 12:45 p.m. will be detoured due to a local event marking Orange Shirt/National Truth and Reconciliation Day.
The Whitecourt Indigenous Friends Society is hosting the event which will start at 10:00am in Rotary Park. The event includes a walk that will start in Rotary Park at 11:00am, and will proceed along the usual parade route through downtown and back to the Park. Activities, speeches and performances are also scheduled until 6:00pm as part of the recognition event.
Transit users should be aware of the following:
- Between the hours of 10:45 a.m. and 12:45 p.m., the bus will travel its regular route and schedule except for in the downtown core.
- There will be no drop off or pick up at the following stops between 10:15 a.m. and 12:45 p.m. on Friday, September 30 due to road closures:
- Bus Stop #3 located at 51 Street near the Home Hardware Building Centre;
- Bus Stop #4 located at the corner of 51 Street and 51 Avenue;
- Bus Stop #5 located in Rotary Park;
- Bus Stop #6 located at the corner of 49 Street and 52 Avenue (Midtown Mall);
- Bus Stop #23 located at the corner of 48 Street and 50 Avenue;
- Bus Stop #24 located at the corner of 50 Street and 50 Avenue;
- Bus Stop #25 located on 51 Street near the 7-11.
Transit users are asked to use other bus stops in the area, including Bus Stops 7, 21, 22 and 26. A temporary Bus Stop will also be set up on 49 Avenue near Canadian Tire (a temporary sign will be posted noting Bus Stop 3A at the pick up/drop off location). Whitecourt Transit appreciates your cooperation and understanding.
Motorists are advised that streets in the downtown area will be closed temporarily from 11:00am to 12:30pm for the National Truth and Reconciliation Day event.
For more information on the event, hosted by the Whitecourt Indigenous Friendship Society, please visit the Society’s Facebook page.